ch-scene - the mirror crack'd

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: the mirror crack'd
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:30:51 -0500

So, those of you who read ch-scene via email may [not] be surprised to learn that sometime in the past month or so, the mirror between the list and alt.music.chapel-hill halfway broke, in the sense that stuff posted to the list still flows to the newsgroup, but stuff posted to the newsgroup is no longer flowing to the list. I am lame, so I didn't notice this until today. Sorry.

The gateway that we've been using for the past umpty-zillion years (so long that I can't find any of my original correspondence with the people who set it up, although I at least know who they were) is/was operated by a private company that's in the UseNet business (a strange bidness to still be in in 2007, no doubt). It's possible that they turned off this free service, or maybe it just broke & needs to be fixed.

I sent 'em an email; we'll see what they say.

In the meantime, I have attempted to fall back to a possibly less-reliable gateway that may or may not still exist. Still waiting to see if anything shows up via it. Not holding my breath.

If both of these projects fail, then I'm going to have to put on my thinking cap. I'm not really optimistic about the possible outcome of that, so let's hope one of the first two options works.

Bottom line: until further notice, if you're hoping to get a relatively complete picture of what's being discussed, you're going to have to either visit the NNTP server of your choice, or go here: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.chapel-hill

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please feel free to post suggestions, useful or otherwise.

xo

Ross