ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of November 16, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: kevin maxwell farmer <fakirmevern-amch AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of November 16, 2006
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:49:48 -0500

Maybe this was posted already and I did not notice it:

http://www.heraldsun.com/features/54-789579.html

The gist: the Ciompi Quartet and Branford Marsalis will be playing an original composition by marc faris tonight at Page Auditorium.

"faris has an established relationship with The Ciompi Quartet, which commissioned him to write a new work for the ensemble and saxophonist Branford Marsalis. That composition, "Mountain Music," will receive its premiere performance Saturday in Page Auditorium at Duke University. "

grady wrote:
Couple of things you won't find down further, due to complexity of venues or ticket prices or whatever:

1) John Zorn's Acoustic Masada tomorrow night (11/17) at Page Auditorium at Duke. When we listen to post-1970 jazz at our house, it's probably one of the Masada discs. I own a moderate amount of Zorn (10+ CDs, which is actually a pitiful drop in the bucket compared to the dude's output) and while I dearly love the noisy stuff like Naked City et al, the Masada pieces are remarkable, compelling, challenging *and* beautiful; I'm drawn back to them again & again in a way that his other music mostly doesn't inspire.

2) Joanna Newsom at an auditorium at Greensboro College on Saturday night (11/18); info here: http://www.theflyinganvil.com/schedule.asp