ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of November 16, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: David Menconi <dmenconi AT nando.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of November 16, 2006
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:25:06 -0500

Sunday, November 19
Cat Power (http://www.catpowermusic.com/)
Dexter Romweber (http://www.dexterromweber.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

I've talked to quite a few people about this show, and almost none of
them plan to attend. I've heard a lot of variations on the "I saw her at
the ArtsCenter; it was every bit as awful as all the stories would have
you believe" routine.

And sure, *I* was at that ArtsCenter show, and it was painful. But y'all
don't seem to have seen any of the articles wherein it is revealed that
she's finally more-or-less kicked the booze & the pills, and has been
traveling the country for the past 4-5 months knocking people flat on
their asses.

Nor do you seem to have caught the part about Chan touring with a
10-piece Memphis soul band made up of a bunch of old Hi Records (aka the
home of Al Green) sidemen.

So go ahead, stay home from this show. I'd *love* to see a show this
good at a NON-sold-out Cradle for once.

also worth mentioning is opening act Dexter Romweber Duo -- the other half of which is his sister Sara. if you've seen the Dex documentary "two headed cow," you know that Chan Marshall is a massive Dexter fan. or you can read about that in the closing section of this story: http://www.newsobserver.com/669/story/511189.html

your full-service media slave,

David Menconi/Raleigh (NC) News & Observer
919/829-4759
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/beat/
http://www.OffTheRecordBook.com