ch-scene - Re: GOODBYE ELVIS FREAKS!!!!!!!!!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "SassyNC" <kperiman AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: GOODBYE ELVIS FREAKS!!!!!!!!!
  • Date: 23 Oct 2006 08:59:26 -0700

"However, we're also past masters at ignoring problems, whether
it's someone struggling with a pushchair on the stairs or a
subculture searching for acceptance. We frequently need someone to set
the conversational agenda, and for that, we usually turn to music.

Music, even repetitive instrumental bleepy music, is our social
solvent, dissolving our barriers to bond us together.Don Letts, London
photographer, filmmaker, musician and commentator believes that, though
it's a sad state of affairs, it has become music's responsibility
to speak for those without voices. Music, he reckons, has the power to
say things that public figures are only prepared to admit in private,
and give us insights into lives we'd otherwise be terrified of asking
about."

--taken from "Time Out London" interview of Damon Albarn and Paul
Simonon about their new collaboration, 'The Good, The Bad And The
Queen,' to be unveiled at next week's ambitious Electric Proms
festival.