ch-scene - Re: Whatever happened to...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Whatever happened to...
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:09:29 -0400

Chris Calloway wrote:

Keenan moved to Chicago, kind of discouraged that
Chapel Hill had not given Transmissions the kind of
support she thought it deserved.

I believe someone told me that Keenan had moved back to Carrboro earlier this year. I haven't seen her to be able to confirm/deny, although I thought I saw someone who looked like her in the Teeter parking lot.

BTW, the music player at trianglerock is my new radio.
XDU and XYC DJs would do well to listen to it and
learn.

Well, thanks for the kind words. I'm perfectly willing to admit that my *own* radio show (oggcast at http://www.trianglerock.com/audio/) is rarely better-organized than the groovo.org player, which is essentially just a chronological sequence of whatever MP3s I can find by bands who're playing locally over the next 5-10 days. There's no actual human intervention in the exact sequencing of the tracks. In that sense I guess it has something in common with any/all Clear Channel stations ;-)

However, there *are* some XYC and XDU DJs who *do* put some thought into the sequencing of their shows (Mike O'Donnell being merely the first of many who spring to mind, and Anne Gomez being the 2nd), and on most days I'd rather listen to them than listen to groovo, although 'tis true that the use-value of groovo is probably higher, if your goal is to hear what this week's touring bands sound like, without the filter of any single person's "tastes."

xo

Ross

p.s. ~2 hours til Troika!