ch-scene - Re: movieminder

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: movieminder
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 17:01:52 -0400

Thank you all for your kind words. Jay Cuthrell, who has been the volunteer coordinator and more-or-less Head Honcho for the past 2+ years, was interviewed via phone today for WCHL, so you hardcore AM talk-radio-news listeners might hear a little bit more about movieminder on the radio sometime in the next day or three.

When we were suddenly confronted with the need to make some kind of decision (6 years of free web hosting at multiple different facilities has finally come to an end, basically), Jay & I agreed that even as his job has gotten harder, and volunteers have gotten harder to corral, the other websites (google.com/movies and raleighlist.org are the two that I find most useful) have gotten easier to use, and have more-useful and more comprehensive info than they used to.

Keep in mind, too, that all the movie times were still being hand-entered into movieminder by a team of volunteers, as we could never make the numbers work to justify paying for a subscription data-feed like the other sites use, not actually having a budget of any kind. And there are at least 2x as many screens in the Triangle as there were when Larry Iversen started movieminder back in ~1999 or so. Probably closer to 3x as many, though I haven't sat down to add them all up.

So while I can't speak to the relative level of "need" for a site like movieminder, I can say that the incentive to keep it running (which for a long time was simply "it's the only site good enough for us to actually *use*") has waned to the point that it wasn't too painful to let it go.

If there are features at movieminder.com that aren't paralleled in some way at those other sites, I suspect the folks at raleighlist.org might be interested in hearing what they are.

Thanks again, y'all. Movieminder always got a fair amount of email, which was the other main incentive to keep it running, and all kind words were & are appreciated.

Ross

Todd Morman wrote:
> that was, like, my favorite web site, dudes. thank
> alla y'all who helped with it over the years.

I used it every time I wanted to see a movie in a theater (which was a kinda
rare event, but still). Thanks, Ross et al. It was a beautiful thing to do
for us. And this:

"As a final courtesy, here are some links we have collected if you wish to
bookmark your favorite venues as seen through other services."

is just the creamy icing on the delicious free cake.

todd bravissimo morman