ch-scene - RE: More non-smoking ideas for music venues

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Steven Keith" <skeith AT capstrat.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: More non-smoking ideas for music venues
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:38:01 -0400

I wonder what Jesus would do?

-----Original Message-----
From: ch-scene-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:ch-scene-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of James Hepler
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 9:32 AM
To: RTP-area local music and culture

Smoker's input:

I think that you should either go one way or the other
so as not to confuse folks. Whether I can smoke at a
show has no bearing on whether I attend. For me it's
all about how much money I have for entertainment at
that moment.

I prefer the idea that the bar be smoking and the
music room be non smoking. That way at least you
don't have 40 people out front smoking while a band is
playing. And that way inclement weather won't have an
effect on smokers. On one hand, non smokers have no
reason to care if smokers have to go out in the rain.
On the other hand, you'd have 20 people huddled under
the awning in front of your door, making it hazardous
if there's a need for evacuation, smoky for people
trying to get in/out of the bar, and generally
crowded.

Of course I don't know how this idea affects the non
smokers. You could try it out for a few shows and see
if it even makes a difference in the eyes of the smoke
free enthusiasts. Otherwise, I would recommend just
going with a no smoking policy for a month or two and
see how it affects things.

--- Glenn Boothe / Local 506