ch-scene - Re: More non-smoking ideas for music venues

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Ken M" <snz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: More non-smoking ideas for music venues
  • Date: 28 Jun 2006 19:25:54 -0700

I smoke. I have smoked on stage. But my take is more like the "crazy
ex-smoker". The evidence is clear (as if it wasn't before) that
second hand smoke hurts people. I don't intend on being the guy
begging the club to allow me to hurt people if less than 50 people show
up. If a club decides that there is no smoking, I respect and applaud
it. I also think the issue should be all or nothing.

I was in LA recently and people smoke outdoors. The club owner smoked.
She also swore that she tried everything to keep her bar smoking, and
that her business hadn't dropped off a bit. This was a regular
neighborhood bar... nothin' special.

If there is a decision to allow smoking on some nights, I think that
all employees need to be polled first, as they are not in the line of
fire by choice. This includes the bands who are performing. If they
are all OK with smoking, then maybe a posting should be put at the door
announcing that the show is a smoking show and money will be rufunded
to those who object. Or maybe they can stand outside the back door.

Let me put it this way: Since there is no way to please everyone,
perhaps the goal should be to not physically hurt anyone. That leaves
one choice. Make pot legal.

Ken