ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] TOMORROW NIGHT! Against the Grain: Local Food

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Internationalist Books <ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] TOMORROW NIGHT! Against the Grain: Local Food
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 11:53:02 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin St
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919-942-1740
http://internationalistbooks.org/

*TOMORROW* NIGHT (Thursday, May 4) @ IBOOKS...

AGAINST THE GRAIN: LOCAL FOOD, 7pm

With Doug Jones (director of Central Carolina Community College,
Southern Seed Exchange Program and Director of Agro Project between
CCCC and Piedmont Biofuels), Tony Kleese (Director of Carolina Farm
Steward Association), Cathy Jones (Organic Farmer at local markets,
2003 CFSA farmer of the year).

Good, healthy, affordable food. The Triangle has one of the fastest
growing Farmer's Market networks as well as myriad other exciting
projects to promote and encourage local food production and use,
including in several of the area's best restaurants. In the face of
rising gas prices and increasing skepticism about the organics produced
in mega-corporations, local food is gaining increasing importance. Join
us for this year's second Against the Grain: Networking Local
Alternatives, where farmers, activists, and restaurant owners will
describe the local food possibilities in the area, as well as discuss
the importance of finding ways to become more local and
self-sufficient.

AGAINST THE GRAIN: Networking Local Alternatives Chapel Hill and the
surrounding area are filled with organizations, groups and businesses
that are daily enacting ways of living within and against the current
system. Collective bookstores, cooperative living communities, bio-fuel
collectives and experiments in public television, we are all involved
in projects that attempt to make the world a better place as we go
about our daily lives and work. Too often, however, we do so without a
recognition about how many others are out there doing amazing things,
we miss out on the potential learning and growth we could all get from
one another. By telling our stories and thinking together about the
possibilities, problems and goals of our projects, both individually
and collectively, we become part of a larger movement and community.

AND DON'T FORGET...

*TONIGHT* - WED., MAY 3 - MINI FILM SERIES: PERMACULTURE @ IBOOKS, 7pm

Tonight Internationalist Books is happy to present the second in a two part series of films on the topic of permaculture courtesey of local resident Greta Lee. Interested in permaculture? Come in and check out our selection of books & magazines.

May 3 --
'Farming with Nature': An Austrian couple demonstrates a highly
productive permaculture system on a steep Alpine slope (30 mins).

'The Synergistic Garden': French permaculturist, Emilia Hazelip, shows
organic no-till gardening and explains the basis of true soil health (30
mins).

'Urban Permaculture': Dr. Bill Roley introduces his coastal paradise in
southern California. Also shown is a food forest in Mexico in its early
phases (30 mins).

####

  • [Internationalist Books] TOMORROW NIGHT! Against the Grain: Local Food, Internationalist Books, 05/03/2006