ch-scene - Re: Open Letter to WUNC

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bryk <chscene AT bryk.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Open Letter to WUNC
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:54:26 -0500

p.s. RE: the original topic of this discussion -- relying on NPR for pop
music coverage seems kinda futile. Shouldn't we be encouraging them to
spend *less* time flailing after the pop demographic & more time
covering things like, you know, news & politics & science & stuff? The
universe is awash, up to its follicles, even, in pop-music coverage already.

Au contraire! I would rather listen to DeRo and Kot go at each other over Pollard's album (Kot loves it, DeRo slams it!) than Ken "Fountains of Wayne are GOD" Tucker reviewing whichever world music cause celebre is front racked at Barnes & Noble that week. Did you hear their Donovan interview? Them playing him the Buttholes' Hurdy Gurdy Man for the first time, then asking his opinion? Good times! Just for playing ESG's "U.F.O." on NPR... talk about mindfucking the yuppies! It's really good radio.

As for Rehm, that explains a lot. Up till now, I assumed she was a senior post-stroke, and more power to her. I know this makes me a bad person, but I find the pacing of her interviews intolerably glacial. It's like that afterschool special where the kid with the speech impediment is trying to tell the teacher where the other injured kid is, you're on the edge of your seat but you... just... can't... understand.

dB

P.S.: If anyone here is actually going to Teddy Thompson's gig tonight at 506, show up by 10 and you'll get kind of a dubious treat.