ch-scene - Re: Open Letter to WUNC

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: The Grand Oral Disseminator <floydianslip127 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Open Letter to WUNC
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 07:13:44 -0800 (PST)

I think regardless of how fast she can talk the fact of it is, its good radio.

grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote: That's just because you're overly
sensitive, Bo, and that's what we love
about you. All the guy said was that it makes him physically
uncomfortable to listen to her. Whether or not she's *actually* going to
keel over or not is kind of secondary to the main question of what,
exactly, the criteria are for one to have a nationally-syndicated radio
talk show.

I myself kind of enjoy the bizarre phenomenon of hearing someone with a
moderate speech impairment doing a live radio talk show. I do have to
wonder whether WAMU would have hired her at all if she'd had the
dysphonia at the time, rather than coming down with it later, and what
kind of heated discussions may or may not have occurred behind closed
doors when she expressed her desire to keep on talkin' after her
diagnosis. "Public" radio being rather corporatist & focus-grouped &
ratings/power-obsessed & alla that.

Then again, I suspect her ratings had a sympathy bounce, so maybe the
public radio execs were overcome with glee.

I myself am currently fingers-crossing that WUNC doesn't permanently
stick Dick Gordon in at 1:00 p.m. because I'm kinda fond of "Day To
Day," or rather I guess I should say I just can't get enough Alex
Chadwick, even though he's spending less time in hip-waders in South
American swamps nowadays as a result.

Plus Dahlia Lithwick!

Ross

p.s. RE: the original topic of this discussion -- relying on NPR for pop
music coverage seems kinda futile. Shouldn't we be encouraging them to
spend *less* time flailing after the pop demographic & more time
covering things like, you know, news & politics & science & stuff? The
universe is awash, up to its follicles, even, in pop-music coverage already.

Bo Williams wrote:
> Man, I sure would feel like a shitheel after this.
>
> On 3/6/06, kevin maxwell farmer wrote:
>>

>> dookie wrote:
>>> great plan! *anything* to lose diane rehm. it really makes my
>> physically
>>> uncomfortable to listen to her...i'm afraid she's gonna keel over dead
>> any
>>> second.
>>>
>> she isn't going to die anytime soon; she has a neurological disorder
>> called spasmodic dysphonia:
>>
>> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=2101067
>>

>> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --
>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene

"If we are nothing at all in the end, let it be that we were true to
ourselves." -e. peace