ch-scene - Stuff to do tonight, Feb 24, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do tonight, Feb 24, 2006
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:47:28 -0500

I was busy all week hacking away at the backend of my site to make it easier to manage the Stuff This Week audio player (http://www.ibiblio.org/audio/ ) and to better-integrate the video into the site (still at http://www.trianglerock.com/video , though not better-integrated yet, sorry). So I got kinda behind in actually posting shows. I have tonight up & I should be doing the rest tomorrow morning-ish, so here's a quickie to tide you over for tonight.

Note also that Hotel Motel are playing their last show ever tonight, along with Mowing Lawns and The Whole World Laughing, at a private residence somewhere between Chapel Hill and Durham. More data at http://www.hot-mot.com

Friday, February 24
Regina Hexaphone [http://www.reginahexaphone.com], Edith Frost [http://www.edithfrost.com], The Strugglers [http://www.thestrugglers.org/], The Zincs [http://www.ohiogirl.com/ohiogold/goldbandzincs.htm]
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

The Strugglers were utterly great last week; they're already outgrowing the "wavery Drag City style alt-country" tag that I've been in the habit of hanging on them. Instead of a new tag, how about a video? (note to Mac users and/or people who don't feel like downloading a codec: I'm working on getting this stuff to play inline via Flash, although the videos will be smaller & maybe a little blockier).

Friday, February 24
Goner [http://www.gonertheband.com/], Spader, Bernard Bozwell & the Bohemians
Kings, Raleigh

Goner make moody, used-to-call-it "emo" before "emo" turned into teen-movie-soundtrack-dreck, bass-keyboard-drums emotional "rock" rock music. Spader make U2-y echoey brit-style electronic dance-rock. Bernard Bozwell? ?

Friday, February 24
$2 Pistols, Randy Whitt and the Grits [http://www.randywhitt.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The elder statesmen of Triangle honkytonk/hard-country, the $2 Pistols would seem to appeal equally to those who like a little "alt" in front of their country, and those who wouldn't have the slightest idea of what the fuck you were talking about, college boy.

Friday, February 24
The Port Huron Statement [http://www.porthuronstatement.com/], Can Joann [http://www.canjoann.com/]
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Since the beginning of time, boys have made catchy pop music with guitars.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------