ch-scene - Re: Flaming Lips, Tuesday, Carrboro

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Kevin Darbro <kdarbro AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Flaming Lips, Tuesday, Carrboro
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:19:39 -0500

I bought "Fearless Freaks" for my younger brother this last holiday season,
and he proceeded to watch it and then loan it to me to watch while I was in
town.

It's actually rather dark, and worth seeing. I don't recall checking out the
extras though. If you are at all interested in the Flaming Lips "behind the
music" so to speak, it's worth seeing. Wayne Coyne and Steven Drozd are
shown in incredibly real, human ways, and it is sometimes very unsettling.

It's not a typical "Rocumentary." As for being too long, it's as long as it
needs to be if you are interested in the band.

Also, if I recall correctly, this movie was made over several years, so
there's more than enough decent material in it that doesn't consist of
worthless footage.

Even the scene of Wayne at the old Long John Silver's where he used to work
is amusing, although it was no longer a Long John Silver's.

- Kevin