ch-scene - Re: Flaming Lips, Tuesday, Carrboro

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Flaming Lips, Tuesday, Carrboro
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:00:12 -0500

Oh dear god. I may change my mind about coming, then. I'd forgotten that "Instrument" was a solid 2 hours long, and it was excruciating. And Fugazi are still one of my favorite bands. But how many minutes of Ian pumping gas, or checking into another Super 8 Motel, does anybody need to see?

Other things I think we've seen enough of: sitting around backstage looking bored. Sitting in the studio looking bored (and/or engaging in wacky band-in-studio hijinx). Footage of highway signs out the window of the van.

I suppose it's possible that "Fearless Freaks" manages to avoid all these cliche's and still winds up at 110 minutes (and yes, I know I can leave anytime anyway) but I'm not holding my breath. It's bad enough when feature films start routinely climbing towards the 120-minute mark -- at least most of them have plots. But "rock movies" really don't need to be any longer than a good rockshow, which for most bands isn't much more than 70 minutes. Actually, for most bands it's about 28 minutes, but we'll assume that [hopefully] if somebody's making a movie about you, you've got at least an hour's worth of decent material.

I mean, shit, even Jason's Dead Moon documentary is under 90 minutes, and it covered Fred's entire 40+ year career.

xo

Mr. Cranky

matty wrote:
The runtime for "Fearless Freaks" is 110 minutes, the DVD extras take it to 185 mins - we may opt to show some depending on the crowd/demand.

-Matt