ch-scene - Re: Authenticity

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Jeremy Blair <jerblar AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Authenticity
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:23:11 -0500

Those are some pretty awesome interviews. I think most musicians who perform
with a lot of pageantry do so because that's what they feel is expected of
them. Its nice to hear someone say that music isn't theater, and you can
just get up there and pour your heart out as opposed to acting like you are
pouring your heart out. Very insightful, thanks.

On 20 Jan 2006 19:41:09 -0800, musicscribe AT gmail.com <musicscribe AT gmail.com>
wrote:

> We're always talking about how things are good in terms of
> aunthenticity, which leads to a kind of credulousness that results in
> the injured feelings the revelations about James Frey and JT Leroy
> produced. What is authentic, original or genuine? What does that mean?
> And is this anyway to evaluate music? I examine these questions in a
> piece that's running in Seattle. Visit my site and read it! It includes
> extra quotes from my interviews with Rick Miller, John Doe, Robert
> Christgau and Elijah Wald.It's really a fascinating interview, and they
> help dig into it....
>
> Read it at crs-one.net .....

  • Authenticity, musicscribe, 01/20/2006
    • Re: Authenticity, Jeremy Blair, 01/21/2006