ch-scene - Re: Randy Newman w/ the NC Symphony

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: bendy <bendy AT duke.edu>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Randy Newman w/ the NC Symphony
  • Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 09:35:40 -0400

A friend told me he heard a letter read on NPR in response to a feature on John Hiatt. To paraphrase, "NPR is my refuge from that awful Heavy Metal music."

I find it fascinating whenever I hear about members of society that have insulated themselves from the sex-and-violence monoculture of pop. They're like defrosted cavemen.

Todd Morman wrote:
Anyone else see the letter in today's N&O complaining about Newman's "crudeness" at the symphony last month?
(http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/letters/story/2806410p-9250051c.html) I saw the Sunday matinee and loved it; getting a chance
to hear live versions of Newman's beautifully orchestrated tunes was a real treat, and his conducting of a few film score excerpts
really got me thinking again about classical music (or at least soundtrack music). He cussed a few times, as I recall, a
"shit" or two and maybe one teensy "fuck," but I'm curious if he did anything more "crude" than that
on Friday night. I've been told that about 20 folks walked out on him early on, but it's not clear whether the cause was the
cussing or not getting that "Short People" was satire.