ch-scene - GO ROOM 4 GEAR SWAP

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Tommy Z" <tzabiels AT rochester.rr.com>
  • To: <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: GO ROOM 4 GEAR SWAP
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:46:09 -0400

Taking a chance that the fender 75 is not sold yet. If not could you send me
some info and a price.

Thanks,

Tommy
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 17:15:28 -0400
From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Stuff to Do, Week of September 16, 2005

Nearly 2 weeks' worth; I'm taking a break:

Friday, September 16
des_ark [http://www.des-ark.org], Winning Looks, Robo Sapien
[http://www.gorobosapien.com/], Rachel Lee Walsh
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Winning Looks are the new duo featuring former Durhamite Tami Hart.
She moved west a few years ago, and I'm told that this tour marks the
occasion of her moving again, this time to NYC. If you remember Tami,
you'll recall that she was the then-teenage lesbian with an acoustic
guitar who wrote & played songs that came out sounding eerily like
Nirvana, but in a good way.

Robo Sapien are recent transplants from San Franciso; they make
irrepressible electro-dance-funkpop with singalong choruses and
synchronized dance moves. They rule.

Des_Ark survived their tour with Engine Down, barely; I asked Aimee
how it was & she said "ever been to Hot Topic?" Assuming she's gotten
over the exhaustion, she should have plenty of fuel for the frenzied
screaming & falling-over-backwards.

Friday, September 16
Pleasant [http://www.pleasantmusic.com], North Elementary
[http://www.northelementary.com], The Sames [http://www.thesames.com]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is the CD-release party for the 2nd Pleasant CD, "Awkward as a
Beehive." It has traded in some of the hyperactivity of their first
album for a slower, more controlled subtlety; they seem to have taken
a cue from Yo La Tengo & are standing on the verge of slowing it down.
I haven't seen them live since before they started work on the album,
so I don't know how it translates.

Friday, September 16
Manamid [http://www.manamid.com], Caltrop, Thunderlip
[http://www.thunderlip.com/]
The Garage, Winston-Salem

Manamid are from Greensboro, though some of them are good ol' Durham
boys who did time in bands like Rights Reserved & Eagle Bravo. They
make Fugazi-influenced postpunkpunk.

Caltrop are a huge sludgy heavy mass of stoner/psych acidrock--think
massively heavy Sabbath/Melvins riffs with crazed fuzz guitar spewing
all over the top of it. Ex-members of The Ladderback and El Sucio.

Thunderlip are from Wilmington, and they're a lot like Valient
Thorr--total over-the-top hands-in-the-air show-metal, half-serious
and half-goof, but all rock.

Saturday, September 17
Confessor [http://www.confessorband.com/], Alabama Thunderpussy
[http://www.alabamathunderpussy.com/], Soul Preacher
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

this is a CD-release party for Confessor. Who knew?

Saturday, September 17
Lud [http://www.smithlevelrecords.com]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the late (10:30) show at the Cave. Lud have been around for
the past 10-12 years; at this point, they epitomize for me the "Chapel
Hill Sound," whatever that means. In their case it means nuanced
social & political commentary in the guise of rock anthems, and
sweeping, near-cinematic instrumentals.

Saturday, September 17
Four Tet [http://www.fourtet.net], Koushik
[http://www.stonesthrow.com/koushik/], Cyne [http://www.cyne.net/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, September 17
Maple Stave [http://www.maplestave.com], Kolyma
[http://www.myspace.com/kolyma], Mowing Lawns
[http://www.dyss.net/mlawns.html]
Kings, Raleigh

Maple Stave are from Durham; they make swirling furious
gtr-baritone-drums mathrock with the occasional outburst of yelped
vocalese and/or spontaneous shouting.

Kolyma make king-hell unholy noise with crazed ranting over the top of
it, or they did the one time I saw them, at least.

Sunday, September 18
Nebula [http://www.subpop.com/bands/nebula/charged/], Leadfoot
[http://www.leadfoot.net/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, September 18
Deerhoof [http://music.ibiblio.org/pub/multimedia/puzzle/deerhoof/],
The Double [http://www.thedoublethedouble.com/], Hotel Motel
[http://www.hot-mot.com]
Kings, Raleigh

Short-attention-span skitter-pop-rock; the songs are short and follow
an internal logic that accomodates random quick-cutting between
genres, tempos, moods & instruments. In Deerhoof's case, the end
result is dizzying & apparently addictive, judging from the number of
people who're jabberingly exited about this show.

Monday, September 19
The Makers [http://www.themakersband.com/], Jimmy & The Teasers
[http://www.geocities.com/booze1031/teasers.html], Stratocruiser
[http://www.stratocruisermusic.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, September 19
Blowfly, Pro-L [http://futurock.com/proL.php]
Kings, Raleigh

Tuesday, September 20
Dungen [http://www.dungen-music.com/], Mia Doi Todd
[http://www.miadoitodd.com/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Dungen are crazed psych-rockers from Scandinavia somewhere. The other
day I was hanging out with a heavily bearded stoner-rock guitarist
when a Dungen song came on the radio. All conversation ceased as he
planted himself about 8 inches away from the speaker & stayed there
for the duration of the 7-minute song, tearing himself away just long
enough to repeatedly demand the name of the band.

Tuesday, September 20
Schooner [http://www.schoonermusic.com], Summer Set
[http://www.summersetworld.com ]
The Library, Chapel Hill

Schooner are from Raleigh, and Summer Set are from Wilmington, and
they each sound a bit like the other: moony pop-rock with soft-rock or
country flourishes (lap steel, eerily pretty vocal melodies, the
occasional fake string). Summer Set's debut EP was one of my favorite
releases of last year.

Tuesday, September 20
Human Marvels [http://www.humanmarvels.com/], Torch Marauder, Clang
Quartet
Local 506, Chapel Hill

In the 21st Century, it will no longer be enough for the tattooed
freaks to simply be tattooed freaks. They will have to play guitars.
Thus the genesis of Human Marvels, the band fronted by former Jim Rose
Sideshow tattooed freak Enigma, the dude with the puzzle pieces
tattooed all over himself.

Torch Marauder isn't tattooed, and he doesn't play guitar, but he is a
bit of a freak. He's blue, and wears a cape, and sings duets with a
videotape of himself.

Clang Quartet is the one-man avant-garde percussion-and-electric-noise
tribute to the life of Jesus Christ.

Thursday, September 22
Bob Mould [http://www.bobmould.com/], The Moaners
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Thursday, September 22
Swords [http://www.theswordsproject.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, September 22
Spader, Bang! Bang!, Fashion Design [http://fashiondesignband.com/]
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, September 23
Heavenly States, Goner [http://www.gonertheband.com/], snmnmnm
[http://www.snmnmnm.com/]
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, September 23
Nathan Asher & the Infantry [http://www.nathanasher.com/], Brite Boy
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Nathan Asher, the passionate Raleigh-based faux-love-child of Bruce
Springsteen and Patti Smith, has a new CD coming out. This is the
CD-release party.

Saturday, September 24
The Young Idea [http://www.theyoungidea.com], Mad Happy
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Young Idea have the dress code, the guitars, and are starting to
work on the furiously half-repressed angry energy of The Jam.

Saturday, September 24
Dexter Romweber [http://www.dexterromweber.com], Hot Young Priest
[http://www.hotyoungpriest.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, September 25
Chip Robinson, Six String Drag, Arrogance [http://www.arrogance.us/],
Tres Chicas, $2 Pistols
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

This is an all-day Hurricane Relief benefit put together by various
Raleigh musicians. As you can see, it includes several reunions,
including the occasionally-reunited Arrogance but also the return of
probably the best of that mid-90s crop of Raleigh alt-country bands,
Six String Drag. It begins at 1:00 p.m. and this is perhaps a full
lineup, although I don't know if this is the exact order:

Chip Robinson
Six String Drag
Arrogance
Tres Chicas
Patty Hurst Shifter
The Woods
2 Dollar Pistols
Hobex
The Hanks
The Bleeding Hearts

Sunday, September 25
Carrboro Music Festival [http://carrboromusicfestival.com/]
everywhere, Carrboro

The [http://carrboromusicfestival.com/] Carrboro Music Festival is a
take-everybody, invite-nobody type of festival. As such there is very
little overlap with the indie-rock scene that exists in the Triangle's
various live-music venues at night. As long as you understand that
reality, you can feel free to wander and learn about how The Other
Half lives.

Thursday, September 29
Wolf Eyes [http://www.bulbrecords.com/wolfeyes.html], Prurient
[http://hospitalproductions.com/hos-079.html], The Whole World
Laughing
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Whole World Laughing is a bass/drums duo featuring Dave Cantwell
(Razzle, Cantwell Gomez & Jordan, Analogue, etc) and Scotty Irving
(Clang Quartet, Geezer Lake).

Thursday, September 29
A Fir-Ju Well [http://www.afirjuwell.com/], Pyramid
The Garage, Winston-Salem

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • GO ROOM 4 GEAR SWAP, Tommy Z, 09/16/2005