ch-scene - Re: Thank You everyone!!!!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Thank You everyone!!!!
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 05:27:26 -0700 (PDT)

--- Brendan Love <brendan.love AT mac.com> wrote:

> Mr. Helpler,
>
> James and Michelle Lee have consistently been among
> the most generous
> and genuinely inspired people I have ever known. I
> don't think any of
> us could name one other place on the east coast
> where someone has gone
> to the trouble of converting a dump of a warehouse
> into a club where
> you can have an all-day show with Indian take-out,
> and where you can
> eat a Loco-pop, see giant artwork AND buy an
> Agnostic Front t-shirt.
> And where you can also bring your mom and your dog
> and your kids.
> There is a place like that and it's in Durham and
> I'm surprised to hear
> that your main observation after this weekend is a
> concern over how
> much it will cost you.

I was speaking only of the merchandise. And it was
JUST an observation. But I'll add to it by saying
that as much as myself, my wife, and all my friends
loved the space, not one of us failed to notice that
we would never be able to buy anything there. Not a
pair of shoes, not an ashtray. And I don't understand
why my noticing that and being more than a little
turned off by it has to have anything to do with my
appreciation of it being there.

> Why don't you take a friend
> from NY or Tokyo to
> Michelle's store and see what they say about the
> prices.

Like I've never been to New York? I went to Love
Saves the Day on 2nd Ave in New York and bought a
great shirt for half, maybe one third the price that
it would have cost at 305 South. You shouldn't assume
that I'm ignorant of what things cost elsewhere.

> I am certain
> that if you were to go back next weekend and do
> something, like, pick
> out a pretty dress to surprise your girlfriend, you
> would find that
> Michelle would be excited to help you find the
> perfect one and if you
> had a question about the price, she would explain
> the price to you.

I don't need the price explained to me if I can't
afford it in the first place. I'm simply not going to
go to the store. Better yet, I'll go to TJ Maxx oe
Loehmann's and get a dress for half that price.

> If
> you went ahead and bought something, you might also
> notice that there
> was a fun extra in the bag and a ribbon for your
> girlfriend and hey...
> it's also a cool bag that her three kids drew on
> that you can re-use.

A fun extra? Seriously, is that supposed to get me in
the store? How about she keeps the ribbon and the
cool extra and charges me something less than $98 for
an old tuxedo coat that I might wear maybe twice a
year. I bought a great tuxedo coat at Thrift World
and paid maybe $10 for it.

> It's funny that you worry about the shows at 305
> South being
> overpriced.

I don't worry about the shows being overpriced. I was
making a joke. And it was perfectly fair to do so.

> Was $10 too much for you on Saturday?
> How many of those
> beers did you drink?

Hey asshole, I put five dollars in the tip jar and had
two beers. How about you? If you want to question my
integrity, do it in person.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs