ch-scene - Re: southern college music circuit

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Matt Cunningham <flaffles AT unc.edu>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: southern college music circuit
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:42:32 -0400

i think i know this crowd. it DOES exist, for i have seen it in rock clubs. its your run of the mill dirty rocker, basically. the guys that listen to drive by truckers and little else. not naming names, but cruise west franklin for a while.

grady wrote:

Exactly how much time have you spent among this tribe, oh great Cultural Anthropologist, in order to be able to draw this vivid & one must assume utterly accurate thumbnail sketch?

And where exactly do they live, because I haven't met anybody like this.

And are you suggesting they are somehow categorically distinct from your garden-variety indie-rockers? Are you in fact suggesting that they're, gasp, indie-rock poseurs? Is such a thing even possible, inasmuch as "indie-rocker" is about as arbitrary & constructed a pose as one could ever hope to invent already?

And how do they feel about Dave Matthews?

Ross

Steven Keith wrote:

Which of the two circuits does the;

...so impeccably disheveled, I'm not coy, why do all you imbeciles look
like me, been listenin' to Iggy Pop since the Nike commercial, it's
Deborah Harry not Blondie, waiting an awfully long time for the hair to
grow down more uniformly around my jaw, Interpol totally sucks, check
out my new-old Marquee Moon thrift score...

belong to?
Probably the second one, right? I might argue that they need their own
little group, maybe because they're multiplying like Kudzu.