ch-scene - Re: southern college music circuit

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: bendy <bendonnlly AT rushpost.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: southern college music circuit
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:32:45 -0400

I think you could argue that there are two southern college music circuits; the jamrock-Hootie-and-white-jeep circuit and the alt.indie- twang-noise-ugly-glasses circuit. The Cradle serves both circuits; most other spots serve one more than the other.

You can make a living playing on the first circuit, which is interesting. You can get a following overseas playing the other, which is also interesting. R.E.M. may be the source of both scenes. The emergence of DMB and Superchunk might have been where they diverged forever, but I wasn't around here then to confirm.

Bendy