ch-scene - Re: southern college music circuit

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Matt Cunningham <flaffles AT unc.edu>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: southern college music circuit
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:23:55 -0400

i, for one, would nix charlottesville, just because that is the spawning ground of dave matthews band (whom i hate), but admittedly, i know very little more about the scene. that bis aside, my pic for up and coming college band in CH definitely goes to Cities. you can check them out here:

http://www.myspace.com/citiesnc

they've recently been signed toYepRoc while in the process of self-recording adn releasing an EP (which, i believe will now become a YepRoc project.

dig it.

Ben wrote:

Hi -- I'm a UNC grad (1999) and freelance travel writer contemplating a
story on the Southern college music circuit. I'm just trying to get
some perspectives on my idea.

I'm thinking of focusing on Athens, Chapel Hill, and Charlottesville,
which seem to be the biggies. Am I missing a place? Or is one of these
not a good pick?

Also, I just need to get a clue about the Chapel Hill music scene
again. I guess Cats Cradle gets a lot more national acts than local,
yes? Is Local 506 the best place for local?

Also, any picks for up-and-coming bands? I'll listen to about anything,
but I do have a sweet spot for alt country type stuff.