ch-scene - Re: filesharing and programming my treadmill.

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: mike AT mysterycircuits.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: filesharing and programming my treadmill.
  • Date: 28 Feb 2005 10:20:40 -0800

You can do some fun things with motors and audio signals. Making a
music controlled vibrator is pretty easy. If you get a small DC motor,
and send an amped audio signal (which is AC) to the power leads, the
motor will move back in forth to the music. You can actually hear the
music faintly resonating in the motor's brushes. If you attach an off
center weight to the spindle, there you go!

Though I'm sure the audi-oh is more advanced than that.

Another fun experiment is to attach a mirror to a motor's spindle
vertically, and send audio to the power leads. Then get a laser
pointer, and hit the mirror at an angle. You'll see a cool laser light
disco on the wall.

Mike

grady wrote:
> Here's most of what you need right here - and it's based in Raleigh:
>
> http://www.audi-oh.com/
>
> Never call me Phil wrote:
> >>Several artists, including Don Henley, Avril Lavigne,
> >>the Dixie Chicks and Sheryl Crow, are lending their
> >>names to the entertainment industry's case, saying
> >>they lose potential royalties to file-sharing.**
> >

> > really stupid, what else can one say, don henley, dixie chicks,
yuck!
> > but It got me to thinking about my treadmill experience and MP3s.
> > A year ago I bought a treatmill and I use it regularly every two
days
> > to workout. I recommend it if, for some reason you aren't active,
but
> > anyway, i'd been usually watching the tube while running and it was
> > getting painfully boring. About a month ago I started listening to
> > music. MyGod, is that SOOmuch better! AND ENERGing! I mean, I use
> > have trouble getting to .5 hrs. Now I'm going for at least 45 mins
and
> > at a higher rate..sometimes even an hour+ depending on the music.
So
> > you can see, clearly, i've hit on something important here?
> > I wish I could plug my laptop(a mac+iTunes) into my treadmill and
have
> > the speed and grade, controlled by what music I'm listening to. So
I'm
> > thinking, if we could find someone to write a little application,
> > probably for the PC, which would make more sense..(maybe we could
port
> > it to the mac later), that could work by translating the music
energy,
> > into something that controls the speed and grade of the treadmill,
> > think we would have a very interesting product? The treadmill
itself
> > would be easily modified. I know the obvious question is why not
just,
> > manually. That's a real come down, having to punch the buttons..It
> > takes you out of the grove. It's a must to keep the syncronization
> > between the treadmill and the music going or it's no good. I bet it
> > would be a pretty easy application to write because all thats
needed is
> > to control the two switches on the treadmill to increase and
decrease.
> > What's interesting is the translator for the music could be
> > customizable. You could have lots of user controls, but out of the
box,
> > just what you'd expect, Fugazi works best for the robust workout.
> > People this could create a whole new industry and so many bboomers
are
> > buying treadmills and they just evenually collect dust.
> > We'd have to come up with a good name for it too, but that would be
one
> > of the fun parts...and the marketing, woow.such a smart idea!...?
This