ch-scene - filesharing and programming my treadmill.

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Never call me Phil" <philipayers AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: filesharing and programming my treadmill.
  • Date: 28 Feb 2005 06:38:51 -0800

>Several artists, including Don Henley, Avril Lavigne,
>the Dixie Chicks and Sheryl Crow, are lending their
>names to the entertainment industry's case, saying
>they lose potential royalties to file-sharing.**

really stupid, what else can one say, don henley, dixie chicks, yuck!
but It got me to thinking about my treadmill experience and MP3s.
A year ago I bought a treatmill and I use it regularly every two days
to workout. I recommend it if, for some reason you aren't active, but
anyway, i'd been usually watching the tube while running and it was
getting painfully boring. About a month ago I started listening to
music. MyGod, is that SOOmuch better! AND ENERGing! I mean, I use to
have trouble getting to .5 hrs. Now I'm going for at least 45 mins and
at a higher rate..sometimes even an hour+ depending on the music. So
you can see, clearly, i've hit on something important here?
I wish I could plug my laptop(a mac+iTunes) into my treadmill and have
the speed and grade, controlled by what music I'm listening to. So I'm
thinking, if we could find someone to write a little application,
probably for the PC, which would make more sense..(maybe we could port
it to the mac later), that could work by translating the music energy,
into something that controls the speed and grade of the treadmill, I
think we would have a very interesting product? The treadmill itself
would be easily modified. I know the obvious question is why not just,
manually. That's a real come down, having to punch the buttons..It
takes you out of the grove. It's a must to keep the syncronization
between the treadmill and the music going or it's no good. I bet it
would be a pretty easy application to write because all thats needed is
to control the two switches on the treadmill to increase and decrease.
What's interesting is the translator for the music could be
customizable. You could have lots of user controls, but out of the box,
just what you'd expect, Fugazi works best for the robust workout.
People this could create a whole new industry and so many bboomers are
buying treadmills and they just evenually collect dust.
We'd have to come up with a good name for it too, but that would be one
of the fun parts...and the marketing, woow.such a smart idea!...? This
is a million dollar idea and I'm handing to you. Good luck.

http://www.treadmilladviser.com/nordic-track-e4400-treadmill.html

http://members.ync.net/mcuriale/imfit/

**Associated Press
File-Sharing Case Unites Unlikely Allies
Monday February 28, 8:34 am ET
By Alex Veiga, AP Business Writer

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050228/file_sharing_taking_sides_1.html