ch-scene - Re: Hunter S. Thompson

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "greco_kraut AT hotmail.com" <greco_kraut AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Hunter S. Thompson
  • Date: 22 Feb 2005 11:54:41 -0800

Hi neighbors... my first and probably only post to the site:
This is from Salon, via NY Post. These are the most details I have
seen so far...

I was devastated when I heard the news. He didn't seem like the kind
to needlessly check out unless he himself (and not his ashes, see
article) were fired out of a canon, soaked in Cognac with a pack of
cigs in his mouth.

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/41022.htm

Gonzo to the end: Hunter S. Thompson's last request? Thompson's friend
Warren Hinckle has told the New York Post that, shortly before the
writer walked into the kitchen of his Colorado home and fatally shot
himself, he told his son, Juan, he wanted a "great funeral -- I want my
ashes shot out of a cannon." Hinckle says Juan was visiting Thompson
with his wife and young son at the time of his father's suicide, and
that Thompson's wife was out at the gym. Hinckle says Juan told him
that his father, moments before his death, was "talking about a
funeral, great funeral. Typical Hunter ranting, nothing out of the
ordinary about that. And then he walked into the next room ... and
pow." (N.Y. Post)