ch-scene - Re: Hunter S. Thompson

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: bendy <bendy AT duke.edu>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Hunter S. Thompson
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:55:17 -0500

paok wrote:
I can't put into words how disheartening it is to me that Thompson committed suicide.
RIP

As someone raised by a hard-drinkin', big-game-shootin' journalist born in the 1930's, I can tell you that the shadow of Hemingway looms large for the alpha-males of that generation. Kerouac too. This one seemed as predictable as Spaulding Grey, in retrospect.

Saw him speak around 1987. Showed up for the gig two hours late, sat down with a bottle of cognac on the table in front of him. He didn't read anything, just fielded questions. He wasn't particularly witty in his responses. Started ranting about the apathy of the younger generation. All and all, a pretty sad show.

Bendy