ch-scene - Re: Nouvelle Vague Films (was: Re: I think this guy...)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Nouvelle Vague Films (was: Re: I think this guy...)
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:46:14 -0500

Holy crap, speaking of punk movies/docs I loved as a teenager, I just did one of my periodic searches & discovered that X: The Unheard Music came out on DVD 2 weeks ago:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006L0LM0/ref=ase_dvdverdict2-20/102-2008096-7500938?v=glance&s=dvd

& stranger still, apparently last year the Cramps' infamous Napa State Mental Hospital show was released on DVD & I had no idea:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00018D5RQ/ref=pd_sim_dv_4/102-2008096-7500938?v=glance&s=dvd

Amazon's "if you like that, you might like this" feature is creepy, sure, but it does come in handy.

Ross

paok wrote:
I love it too.

phaedra

PS: RE: Androgyny. Love that Replacements song, too.

"Here comes Dick, he's wearing a dress, here comes
Jane y'know she's sportin' a chain, same hair
revolution, same build evolution, tomorrow who's gonna
fuss? And they love each other so, androgynous ...
Mirror image, see no damage, see no evil at all..."

--- bendy <bendy AT duke.edu> wrote:

I haven't seen URGH! in about 14 years, and this is
all I remember:

1. Lux.

2. Gary Newman, caked in make up, motionless and
rolling around the stage on a golf-cart. He saw the future. Of
Christopher Reeve.

3. Gang of Four may have been leftists, but they
sure dressed a lot like Duran Duran.

Has anyone watched Liquid Sky recently? Does it
still suck, or has it taken on a patina of amusement that glosses over the
shockless androgyny?

Smithereens, at last viewing, still sucks. I never
liked Diva, but then, other than Nomi, I've never like opera. Repo Man
holds up. I find Rude Boy ten times more powerful now than I did in it's
day. They made a film about how they dicked over a fan!

Bendy

domcasualties AT yahoo.com wrote:

As far as URGH! goes, I really enjoyed Nomi's

performance and thought

his early 70s take on

an-alien-in-Fleischer-cartoon makeup was

stunning. However, Skafish's performance put me to

sleep. My favorite

piece would have to be the Cramps' version of

"Tear It Up." Lux rules

that movie.

Jamie

-- ch-scene: the list that mirrors