ch-scene - Re: tuners

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <rossi AT webslingerZ.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: tuners
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:06:02 -0500

I'd be happy to chip in towards one of those CDs!

rossi

James Hepler wrote:
Oh.My.Freaking.God

You know folks, my birthday is coming up! You have 10
months.

--- Chris Rossi <rossi AT webslingerZ.com> wrote:

This is known as a strobe tuner. It uses a strobe,
just like the thing on fancy record players to check turntable speed. They are generally quite expensive.

A quick search on Google for "strobe tuner" led me
straight to the beer bottle organ:

http://www.petersontuners.com/news/bbo/index.cfm

rossi

James Hepler wrote:

I hate to reveal my ignorance, but I'm looking for

very specific kind of tuner, and I can't remember

what

they're called. It's the kind of tuner you might

find

in a high school band room. Big, square, with a

disc

that spins. In my head it's similar to the way

you

check if a record is turning at the correct speed.

When you're in tune, you see a solid line, etc

etc.

Tuning an autoharp is hard work.

Thanks.

Hep