ch-scene - Re: artscenter complex

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: artscenter complex
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:57:31 -0500

Chris Rossi wrote:

In several articles I've read, as well as in phone calls to the office, they keep talking about how awful it is that they have lost businesses like webslingerZ to Chapel Hill. We liked Carrboro much better than our present location, but couldn't find any affordable space there when we needed more room. So we're out by Timberlyne now, which isn't awful, but not nearly as cool as being in downtown Carrboro.

Hmm, so we're talking maybe up-to-date large-scale office space rather than little storefront retail type stuff. I can see that, as so much of Carrboro is little-storefront-retail or little standalone buildings.

In that case, bring it on!

Seems like Carrboro is in greater need of affordable housing.

Seems like you need both, or else you end up with a suburb type situation where everybody lives in one place and works in another and clogs the roads twice a day getting from one to the other.

Well, sure, but Carrboro is doomed to be & remain a UNC bedroom community, and the housing pressure from Chapel Hill has been pushing into Carrboro for ages now, which is why shitty rundown mill houses with no insulation rent for $1200 & upward a month. I should know: I used to live in one ;-)

I live out in the boonies now, and I hate that I've doomed myself to a long commute, especially since the broadband options out where I live are slim & none, so telecommuting isn't really feasible.

But I'm going to have to wait til I hit the lottery to do much about that. When that happens, though, somebody hook me up with a little infill lot in Chapel Hill or Carrboro, please. I wanna build a small-footprint 3-story solar building with a green roof.

Maybe I should just get a hybrid to drive instead, eh?

Ross