ch-scene - Re: artscenter complex

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: artscenter complex
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:18:55 -0500

Hmm. Considering that I can hear shows at the Cradle from the municipal parking lot across the train tracks sometimes, I'd be a little concerned about the idea of building apartments either that close or directly on top of the Cradle. People always say they understand a situation when they move in, but they don't really understand it until they've lived there for a while, and it would be a drag for Frank to suddenly wind up in the middle of a bad-neighbor situation with the apartment dwellers due to noise problems.

(Just ask clubowners in downtown Durham about how quickly the cutting-edge urban pioneers who moved into buildings downtown turned into royal pains in the ass, calling in noise complaints all the time. So much for gritty urban realness . . . )

Of course, on the other hand, it's probably better than having to move the Cradle again . . .

Where did the quote in your email come from, by the way? I don't see it in the online article. The gist is more or less the same, I'm just curious if you have another source as well. I'd like to see/hear more info.

Ross

p.s. is Carrboro really crying out for another 400,000 square feet of commercial space? Just from looking around, I don't see the kinds of space/rent pressures (tons of legacy businesses still in the same locations they've been in for ages) that would suggest a huge need for new commercial space. Seems like Carrboro is in greater need of affordable housing.

Christa Wessel wrote:
any opinions about the proposed redevelopment of the artscenter/cat's cradle complex?

http://www.herald-sun.com/orange/10-563982.html

"a 3-D model illustrated the mixed-use community, which would include a parking deck with about 500 spots, about 42,000 square feet of apartment space, a five-story artscenter, and expanded cat's cradle music club and an outdoor music venue, among other features."

an image of the proposed redevelopment was included in sunday's paper, though i can't seem to locate it online. phoo.

xo-