ch-scene - local releases 2004

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: local releases 2004
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:09:31 -0500

I know how much you all love to obsessively make year-end top-whatever lists, so to help you along, here's a list of most-if-not-all of the local releases which saw playlist action at WXDU in 2004. Apologies in advance to any band whose release I overlooked; I built this list by manually collating our weekly top-88 lists & scanning for familiar names, so it's quite possible that I either missed a band whose name I didn't recognize, or some bands utterly failed to make our top-88 for even a single week & were thus omitted.

If you'd like to see/hear this list in something other than alphabetical order, I'll be counting them down during the local music show over the next 2 Sundays (1/2 and 1/9) (5:00 p.m.); sequencing will be based upon the total number of plays by XDU DJs as a whole, not by my personal preference or any other random criteria.

ahleuchatistas - the same and the other
all astronauts - navigation songs
apple juice kid - plus+
audubon park - crookshanks on the island of missed diddles
avett brothers - mignonette
butchies - make yr life
choose your own adventure - let em work let em live
choosy beggars - self-titled
chris stamey - travels in the south
cold sides - 5/21/2003
cold sides - perpetual hypeness
comas - conductor
cool john ferguson - guitar heaven
crimson spectre - self-titled
cub country - stay poor, stay happy
des_ark/bellafea - split 7
destroyed by kittens - self-titled
dexter romweber - blues that defy my soul
elizabeth cotten - shake sugaree
erie choir - bad tsars is a drag
evil wiener - halloween record
fashion design - self-titled
hanks - 420 Bickett Blvd
hotel motel - teen pop crisis
hotel motel - you must be hard of reading
inspector 22 - friendship cemetery revisited
international orange - spoon box
jon shain - no tag, no tail light
kleptonaut - marry me mr president
manamid - standard candles
mountain goats - we shall all be healed
mylittlephony - eat your hope
natasha - self-titled
nein - self-titled
north elementary - lose your favorite things
pinkslips - new crush
pykrete - over hylaster
razzle - all those wasted (y)ears
red skeleton - eat the resin
regina hexaphone - the beautiful world
schooner - demo
schooner - you forget about your heart
section 8 - destroy all who oppose us
sentinel - self-titled
shadow of a great name - exteriors
shalini - metal corner
shark quest - gods and devils
sorry about dresden/cold sides - split 7
southern culture on the skids - mojo box
strange - radio promo
strugglers - the fair store
strugglers - the new room
summer set - self-titled
The AM - guten tag, you are late for work
the balance - demo
the ghost of rock - self-titled
the nein - twelve thirteen fourteen
the never - self-titled
the talk - no, you shut up
tift merritt - tambourine
torch marauder - boxers painters and snappers
tres chicas - sweetwater
tricky the cosmonaut - uncle louie
two dollar pistols - hands up
various - bandwidth: WXYC webcasting 10 years comp
various - chicks rock
various - durham rocks
various - I can't get that evil weiner song out of my head
various - wuag 103.1 presents the landscape

p.s. if your band's release doesn't appear on this list, here are some things you can check:

1) did you send it to WXDU, PO Box 90689, Durham, NC, 27708?
2) was it CLEARLY MARKED as "local music"?
3) was it in a jewel box with a traycard with the band & album name clearly visible on the spine, or something similarly find-able by DJs?
4) did it not suck?

Missing any one of those four is often enough to doom your CD to a tragically unlistened-to fate.