ch-scene - Re: Food thread

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Food thread
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:12:52 -0500

Worth noting that this is the same shopping center (Glenwood Commons? Greenwood Commons? Been going there almost daily for 10 years and I can't ever remember) that houses the Park Diner, still consistently the best hot lunch in RTP, as well as Sarah's Empanadas (want to engage the inscrutable Sarah in conversation? Bring a bottle of good olive oil & set it on the table--she couldn't stay away from Rossi & me the other day).

Also has Tandoor Indian Buffet, which is owned by the same guy who owns Dale's on 9th Street in Durham (I've only ever had the buffet there, and it's about the same as anywhere--not as good as Dale's made-to-order entrees, that's for sure), which is itself notable for the giant banner which made its appearance sometime in the past few days announcing "now open for breakfast."

Haven't gone by yet to see what exactly that means. Hoping someone else will, actually, if only to satisfy my curiosity.

Ross

rosswhite AT gmail.com wrote:
I'll chime in. My favorite restaurant in the Triangle is Fortune
Garden, located in the shopping center at 55 and Sedwick in Durham.
It's family-owned. The wife is Thai, the husband is Chinese but also
makes Thai food. For my money, it's the best pad thai in the triangle,
they make a delicious ok kai grab, and after almost two years of not
trying the Chinese food (I just really like Thai), I finally had it and
it was great. The service is wonderful-- I had the rehearsal dinner
for my wedding there.

The same family recently opened a Thai-only place in the same shopping
center, and brought in a chef from Thailand. We have only been there a
few times-- the curry selection is not as wide and "just a little
spicy" blew us out of the place. And we like spicy.

--the other Ross on the list

grady wrote:

OK, if we're giving up our secrets ...

Duncan Murrell wrote:

Since the list seems to have an annual food thread, I thought I'd

begin
it with this tip, authored by a Siler City regular: