ch-scene - Re: Food thread

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Food thread
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 07:52:37 -0500

OK, if we're giving up our secrets (often a good thing if one wants them to stay in business) then I have to tell you about 9N9, the new Vietnamese joint in RTP, which has the best Pho I've had in the Triangle. They're in the stripmall at the intersection of Miami & Alexander, in a space formerly occupied by the Chinese restaurant of the damned (which briefly turned Mexican a couple of years ago, albeit with the same owner as when it was Chinese).

They've retained the chinese-food steam table (probably the same food, too) at the back as a strong reminder of what *not* to do.

They're open 9:00 to 9:00 7 days a week (yes, in RTP), and they have table service that's fast enough for lunch (and prices low enough that even with table service you can easily get out of there perfectly happily for $8 or so).

The Pho is just marvelously fragrant--the only one I've had around here that compelled me to hoist the bowl & slurp down every drop of the broth, *and* didn't leave me feeling dangerously out-of-sorts after having done so.

I recommend the rare beef & the well-done flank, but you can also get the range of other meat options (tendon, tripe, etc). Let us know if you go that route.

They've also got a multi-page menu of other Vietnamese stuff, including the standard vermicelli-and-salad-and-spring-roll things and a variety of other soups. And they've got their version of the bahn mi, the Vietnamese sub (familiar to anyone who has eaten at Dalat in Raleigh, at least I hope so): soft, chewy french roll, sweet mayo, cucumber, pickled carrot, cilantro, jalapeno, and tangy marinated pork (they've also got chicken and what appears to be sliced ham--the chicken tasted like passable peppery chicken salad, but wasn't thrilling; I have yet to think of a reason to try the ham, although I probably should).

Two of the sandwiches make a good lunch for me; they're $2 apiece. (or buy 5 get one free!)

Ross

p.s. if you go for that sort of thing, they've also got Bubble Tea.

Duncan Murrell wrote:
Since the list seems to have an annual food thread, I thought I'd begin it with this tip, authored by a Siler City regular:

Mexican food... If someone is wanting some really good
and authentic Mexican food and a very, very! casual atmosphere, the Tienda
Loma Bonita on Martin Luther King in Siler City has a restaurant in the back
of the grocery store and it's the best I've found anywhere. Of course very
authentic, and very delicious. The people who run the store are always
friendly, and they are open every day and evening. Their sauces are
especialy tasty -- ask for both the green and the red so you can sample
both. They make to-go orders, too. And have weekly specials. There's no
formal menu, it's all written on the board, but most of the staff is
bilingual, if you don't know what is what. You'll have to walk through the
produce section and the butcher shop to get to the restaurant, but it's
worth the hunt. There is also a caterer in Siler City now who prepares
authentic Mexican cooking, but I don't know who it is.