ch-scene - Re: Linux distros (was re: politech vote hacking blah blah)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Linux distros (was re: politech vote hacking blah blah)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:35:02 -0500

That was one game-plan, made slightly more complex by the fact that its *only* bootable device is the CF card, unless one wants to solder a surface-mount IDE header to the system board, which wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

I know, no biggie to just trim the CD contents down (assuming they're not CRAMed, which just adds another layer of fun) to <512 and dump them onto the CF card. In theory.

Why oh why did I network my answering machine?

Ross

Bo Williams wrote:
Just download liveCDs from various distros until you find one that works. If it'll boot the CD, it'll boot after an install.

grady wrote:

Everything *but* Suse. I'm not really wedded to Suse; a friend just said that his network install had gone pretty smoothly & that it seemed to have better ACPI/laptop support than various other oldschool distros.

And no, don't try to tell me to do Gentoo on this 2-year-old thinkpad with a tiny hard drive.

Speaking of non-bleeding-edge hardware, does anybody have a suggestion for a good small-footprint distro that's actually currently being maintained that would be a good match for a Transmeta 3200-based touchscreen webpad type device, booting from a 512-meg CF card?

Semi-current maintenance would be nice primarily because I need the prism-GT wireless chipset support that's in the 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels.

One would think that Transmeta's own Midori aka Mobile Linux would be a good candidate, but they appear to have abandoned that ship back in 2001 or so.

Ross

Bo Williams wrote:

Does Pair Networks have a SuSe mirror? Their gentoo mirror is always supser fast for me.

grady wrote:

Well, the Greens & Libertarians are going to formally request a recount in Ohio once the results are certified. Is anybody doing the same for Florida?

Ross

p.s. also, does anybody know the fastest server from which to do a network install of Suse 9.1? Don't say ibiblio; I keep getting horked up partway through.