ch-scene - Re: WXDU benefit show Nov 20th

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: rws6 <rws6 AT duke.edu>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: WXDU benefit show Nov 20th
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:41:22 -0500

the coffeehouse historically has been under-utilized because it's been managed
by duke students. the problem with student management, as most college radio
djs know, is that there is little continuity from year to year. the
coffeehouse
has occasionally been in the hands of really responsible dookies who put on an
assload of great shows. more recently, it's been in the custody of a bunch of
fuckwits who don't return phone calls.

due, in part, to this instability, dook has decided to assume responsibility
of
the coffeehouse. from now on, the office of student affairs is in charge.
this
probably heralds good news for the coffehouse, but it remains to be seen if it
will also benefit the local rockstars. at any rate, the coffeehouse is
currently undergoing rennovation (to remove the nasty from the freak), and one
can only hope that they don't forget to remove the "crowd-blinder," that
spotlight that inexplicably has been aimed at our eyeballs for the past four
years.

so, it remains to be seen what form the coffehouse will take in the future.
but, whatever happens will happen in a swankier place with nicer equipment,
people who return your phone calls, and (crossed fingers) a stage setup that
the
audience can view without a welding helmet.

r.