ch-scene - WXDU benefit show Nov 20th

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Jeffrey Herrick <herrickjeffrey AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: WXDU benefit show Nov 20th
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:08:35 -0800 (PST)

WXDU Annual Benefit Show on Sat. November 20th

Bands etc:
The Torch Marauder
(http://home.att.net/~sandydave/torchhome.html)

Hotel Motel (http://www.hot-mot.com/)

Erie Choir
(http://pehrlabel.com/mp3s/erie_choir-the_ballad_of_erie_choir.mp3)

along with to be announced hip-hop artists

Where: Duke Coffee House
directions:
http://www.duke.edu/web/coffeehouse/index.htm

When: November 20th, doors 8PM (show starts soon
after)

How Much?
5 buck ($4 for Duke students)

Why?: wxdu runs on fumes, please help us convert to
21st century technology!

Want more?
WXDU marks the triumphant return of the Duke Coffee
House with our annual fall benefit. We hope to raise
money for station upgrades as well as showcase great
local talent.

Some stuff somebody wrote about the bands:

ERIE CHOIR (featuring Eric Roehrig from Sorry About
Dresden) create beautiful, poignant songs that make
bitterness sweet. With simple, tragic lyrics over
softly strummed guitar melodies, Erie Choir manages to
produce wondrously understated music. Prepare to
indulge in that lovely melancholy every music aesthete
hides without feeling guilty about it.

HOTEL MOTEL is a veritable who’s who of the local
music scene featuring Anne Gomez (Cantwell, Gomez and
Jordan) on bass, Matt Kalb (Audubon Park) on guitar,
and Bob Wall (Razzle) on drums. Fresh from recently
releasing their You Must Be Hard of Hearing EP, these
three bring a challenging sound that constantly
explores several directions all at once without losing
sight of the melody. Chaotically energetic to just the
right level, their songs have equal parts intensity
and giddiness and make for an experience live.

THE TORCH MARAUDER’s live show is probably unlike any
show you’ve seen. He’s a superhero painted blue with a
cape, and he’s here to save this world with rock
music. His quirky, catchy pop songs move past
traditional structures to produce new sounds of
inspiration to a now dancing (in whatever form)
audience. This battle is not easy, however. Yes,
fellow victims of mediocre music, our salvation comes
at heavy risk to our hero. The Torch Marauder’s
arch-nemesis, the Torched Conquistador, has assassins
who may show up in the crowd to wage war. Or perhaps
the Red Caped Rocker will come and try to steal the
show? But fear not, the Torch Marauder is not alone in
his battle! Friends and fellow superheroes live and
through televisions will come to aid in this epic
fight, not only for WXDU that night, but for
everything you hold dear.

88.7FM
WXDU.ORG