ch-scene - Re: This just in (was Re: local Sinclair stations)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: This just in (was Re: local Sinclair stations)
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:05:46 -0400

NPR this AM reported that they're not forcing all 60-whatever stations to do it & that at the moment only around 40 are going to air it. Continued pressure on LOCAL advertisers in each market could very well reduce that number even further.

Dunno if it was reported in the stories linked, but at close yesterday, Sinclair stock was down 11% for the week & there was talk of shareholder suits, as it's a publicly-traded company, and as you all know from seeing "The Corporation" (what, you haven't seen it? GO NOW--seriously, it's an excellent primer into how things aren't gonna change much until we change how corporations are treated under the law), management has but one obligation, for better or worse: to protect shareholder value.

Anybody know whether our two local Sinclair stations are still planning to air the thing?

Ross

sorren AT mindspring.com wrote:

the crossfire thing was totally brilliant. omg.

how disingenuous to say "inaccurate" when they only just now changed
what they were going to do.

and no it doesn't sound like much of an improvement to make it "news
commentary" and I can't really tell from the title what Kerry's war
service has to do with POWs. . .

and as long as it is mandatory it's going to remain political and
"weird" and an abuse of their trust.

Rachel

-----Original Message----- From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
Sent: Oct 20, 2004 10:36 AM To: RTP-area local music and culture
<ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org> Subject: Re: This just in (was Re: local
Sinclair stations)

--- "G.T. Tyson" <gtyson AT nc.rr.com> wrote:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc., under widening
scrutiny over plans to air a documentary about Sen. John Kerry's
wartime activities 30 years ago, said on Tuesday it would not show
the program in its entirety.

"Contrary to numerous inaccurate political and press accounts, the
Sinclair stations will not be airing the documentary 'Stolen
Honor' in its entirety," the Baltimore-based company said in a statement.

Sinclair said it would air a special news program on Friday called
"A POW Story: Politics, Pressure and the Media" that would discuss
the allegations surrounding Kerry's anti-Vietnam War activities.

Does this sound like an improvement to anyone? What, they're going
to get some right wing pundits to essentially read from the Stolen
Honor script so that it can be news commentary instead of political propaganda? Ugh.

Anyone see Jon Stewart on Crossfire last Friday? I can link you to
video if it hasn't already been done.

Hep