ch-scene - Re: Not Music Related - Will Fox News Make You Taller?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Not Music Related - Will Fox News Make You Taller?
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 14:02:44 -0400

Heh. We watched it on C-SPAN, which did the split-screen thing nearly 100% of the time.

I'm thinking there was probably a single set of cameras & the feed was split to anybody who wanted to carry it, but I didn't do any surfing around, so I dunno for sure. On C-SPAN Bush appeared to have been zoomed in slightly to make up for the height differential. He also appeared to be more normally flesh-colored, whereas Kerry was a slightly ghoulish greenish color.

Are there any firm statistics about apparent head size and victory?

Ross

mwk_Matt wrote:

I flipped through several channels during last night's debate (don't
have cable so several is PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX) to compare
coverage. I ended up mostly watching PBS when Kerry would speak, and
FOX when Bush would speak. On FOX News, whenever they used the
split-screen shot they positioned it so that Bush and Kerry were the
same height. My wife noticed that you could see much more of the
podium on Bush's half of the screen, and the tops of their heads were
close to the same position. To an extent other networks seemed to do
this, which I imagine is a "framing the shot" thing, but the height
change was not as extreme. FOX also seemed to use the split screen
much more than other channels (in my very limited and unscientific
study).

"The taller candidate wins" theory is pretty spotty at best, but does
Rubert Murdoch think so?

Matt