ch-scene - Re: Stuff to do, Week of September 23, 2004

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "bendy(a)lostpla[dot]net" <"bendy(a)lostpla[dot]net"@example.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Stuff to do, Week of September 23, 2004
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:53:53 -0400

grady wrote:

and that it's kinda silly to nominate them during a period when they're more-or-less dormant

Right. And while Branford Marsalis has already done some stuff with the music department at Duke, and that's a blessing to Triangle culture, I'm not sure if I'd call him a local jazz artist, yet. Not saying he's gotta pay dues, but just sayin'. Where's the nomination for KC or the dude from Flock of Seaguls?

But then I suppose the correct answer is to quit yapping about this whole thing & just say this: there is a reason why there haven't been many attempts to do stuff like this around here.

Yes, and we seem fairly free of Icehouse Battle of the Bands Rockober Contests. Ballot stuffing in the Town Meeting format, that.

The Indy's coverage of local music has increased appreciably (in quantity, at least) over the past year or so, and I for one am quite thankful for that.

I don't think there are many free weeklies that print more local record reviews than national record reviews. That Home Brew column alone shows how well the scene and the Indy are energizing each other. Yippee.