ch-scene - Re: advice sought: guitar for 15 YO beginner?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "bendy(a)lostpla[dot]net" <"bendy(a)lostpla[dot]net"@example.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: advice sought: guitar for 15 YO beginner?
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:55:03 -0400

Jeff Hart wrote:

jane,

in the last year, i've bought two mexican made fenders (a telecaster
and a strat). both were less than $350.

If the kid's into Hendrix, I would echo this recommendation for the Mexicasters. I've got a mid-90s Stratocaster I got new, no case. Used, something similar could still be had in the same range, and with a $80 case, you've got a rig that he wouldn't have to trade up for. I'd recommend a strat anyways for a beginner, since it's got a wide range of tone, and won't lock him into purely crunchy sounds (like the humbucker guitars I started on...) or twangy (like the incredibly priced Danelectros...)

Bendy