ch-scene - RE: advice sought: guitar for 15 YO beginner?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Kevin Darbro" <kdarbro AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: advice sought: guitar for 15 YO beginner?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:46:59 -0400

Ditto on the 80's Squier Fenders. My first 'real' guitar was a Fender
Squier Tele from Japan (1987), and I still use it today. I replaced the
pickups and had the guys at Harry's Guitars change the jack for me because
it was constantly missing connections, and would fall out from time to time,
but those are minor things that as my needs changed, I could have done
relatively inexpensively.

For amps, I recommend looking for a used Peavy Bandit 65 or so (also 80's).
It was a decent amp in it's day, especially for a beginning guitarist. For
new amps, consider an Orange Crush 15. It's around $100 and I think it has
a headphone out. I bought one in Nashville a couple years ago for $115 or
so, and it's quite usable with onboard overdrive which will save your
friend's son the trouble of buying a distortion pedal. It also sounds
decent at low volumes.

For a tube amp, in case the budding guitarist is more of a bluesy guy than a
heavy sounding guy (or wants to approach it), I highly recommend a Fender
Musicmaster Bass amp. They are long out of production, but can be had on
ebay for $100 or so. I regret selling mine a couple years ago. It's one of
those secret vintage amps that is pretty available and has a great, warm
bluesy sound.

I also concur with whoever said Danelectro. Those guitars are awesome for
the price, but the tuning knobs seemed kind of shoddy. I've heard that many
people replace the tuning knobs on 'em, and they work great. It's a great
twangy sound.

What kind of music is he into? I have to also agree not to buy a guitar
online. It's a personal thing. If he plays at all, let him hold and play
whatever he can on potential guitars. It's kind of like dating. When you
know it's right for you, it's right! It's hard to quantify that, but it's
true.

Good luck!

Best,

- Kevin