ch-scene - Re: Thank God for the 506 (was "nightlight website?")

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT earthlink.net (Local 506)
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Thank God for the 506 (was "nightlight website?")
  • Date: 20 Jul 2004 23:12:58 -0700

Thanks for all the kind words regarding 506...and much thanks to those
of you who've come out. Yes, as Ross mentioned, running a club is
much tougher than I ever imagined. After two months, my 80 hours
weeks are now only about 60 hours. Not band til you factor in that
I've yet to take a penny back from the club. That's why I still have
my other job (which isn't factored into the hours above.) Plus, I
have two other people, the under-appreciate John Dzubak and my intern
Stuart Cullian both adding another 40 hours to the mix. So, if you
see me at a show, and I'm not my normal friendly self, it's probably
cos I've been working 10-12 hours already that day.

I'm not complaining; however, there are some things that can be done
to make things easier for any venue, not just 506.

1) Be willing to pay more at the door. Ticket prices for local bills
are generally $5, which is what they were when I was in college in the
late 80's! Still, we have people balk at those prices. For the
record, it cost me about $100 to open my doors each night (for a sound
man and door person.) I'm not looking to profit from the door -
however, I'd like to not lose money either. Not to mention, I'd like
to see bands be financially rewarded as well. Right now, I'm taking a
loss on most nights so that the bands can get a decent amount of
money. Heck, I've had to pay a couple bands out of my wallet since
the door didn't make much (and I didn't want them to leave
empty-handed.)

2) Come early / stay late. I know most people don't want to spend
their entire night in one spot; however, it is very frustrating when
people pay to get in - and then immediately head to another spot for a
drink...or rush out once the band is over to go to another bar.

3) Buy something besides PBR from time to time. Since the door money
goes toward the bands (and the cost of having them,) my club only
makes money from the bar - and it's really tough to do that at $2 a
pop. We probably sell 25 PBR's to every import beer we sell. That's
a tough way to make a living. If everybody who drinks PBR exclusively
bought one higher-end beer a night (and I'm talking upgrading to
Budweiser or Rolling Rock) - I could sleep a little easier at night
(as opposed to today, where I had to rush a deposit in early to cover
this week's bills...)

Similarly, just about every show, we have someone complain about our
bar prices being too high. Keep in mind that the average bar doesn't
need to own a PA or lighting system, doesn't have to pay a sound
person each night, doesn't have to advertise in the Indy each week,
etc.

And more importantly, the average bar doesn't have to charge you to
get in. Believe me, I'd love to have more shows be free - and pass
the hat. I mean, the door charge is just another hurdle for a venue
to make money (and for new bands to develop fans.) There are so many
people who walk by this club, poke their head in, see the door person,
and move on...and probably end up next door at the Sports Bar.

That's not to say that the club doesn't have a lot of room for
improvement to accomodate some of these concerns. For the record, I'm
trying to address all the needs that have been expressed to me. We
have a new air conditioning unit. We now have tap beer (from the
Carolina Brewery.) And, starting soon, 506 will be starting shows
earlier with first bands going on at 10pm. So no more 1am start
times! Despite rumors to the contrary, I do not want bands playing to
2am.

If there is anything you'd like to see the club improve upon, I'm all
ears. I've been a sponge to ideas all summer and there is no shortage
of thing we could be doing even better.

Glenn / Local 506