ch-scene - Re: Merge virus?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ruby Sinreich <lists AT lotusmedia.org>
  • To: ch-scene 2 <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Merge virus?
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:24:26 -0400

Sorry to tune in late, but I have to say that I totally, 100% agree with Bo.
(And that's not a very common occurrence.)

Rock on, Ross. Everyone else: if you don't like it, don't read it. I have
a similar filter in place for selected others on this list.

= Ruby

On 6/23/04 8:06 PM, "Bo Williams" <bo AT mrboboto.com> wrote:

> There are years and years of Google archives to show that Grady reacts
> in a similarly cranky manner whenever anyone brings up viruses in any
> context. Or just about anything, in any context! It's nothing personal,
> and saying it's rude is as if Kermit started complaining about those
> fucking assholes Statler and Waldorf one day. Sometimes, people are
> curmudgeonly, and sometimes, it's just part of their personality, and
> I'll take personality over a polite facade any day of the week.
>
> And besides, Ross is the only one in this discussion who's said anything
> that's factually true. To break it down again: some random person who
> had Merge's email address and your email address in his or her IE cache
> / Outlook address book got a virus. You got some spam. This does not
> mean that Merge should go on Code Red Terror Alert. This means email is
> broken, and has been for a long time, and will continue to be so for
> some time more, so just ignore it and go on with your day.
>
> Bo
>
> Jamie McLendon wrote:
>
>> grady AT ibiblio.org (grady) wrote in message
>> news:<40D9CCB2.4000009 AT ibiblio.org>...
>>
>>> Did you read the rest of my message? What Cy told you, while mildly
>>> amusing, is irrelevant, and while labels may or may not be having
>>> problems with viruses, getting an email that purports to be from them is
>>> *not* an indication of *anything* other than that you're alive and using
>>> email in the year 2004.
>>

>> Yes, I read the rest of your message. I did, however, find what Cy had
>> to say to be revelant. Perhaps Merge might like to know that there's
>> spam going out with their name on it. I've had friends and associates
>> send me a head's up before when they've gotten wind of the same thing
>> happening with their email addresses, and I would appreciate it if
>> someone told me it was happening with mine. Maybe Merge, like
>> Dischord (or whichever other label he mentioned), might like to put a
>> little warning on their site, too.
>>
>> Whatever the case, my post was small, polite, and (apparently) overall
>> insignificant. It could have easily been ignored, or responded to with
>> a simple "duly noted." I know what spam is, and I don't open shit from
>> people I don't know. I understand. You overreacted, Ross. My post was
>> a simple PSA to anyone who might have gotten the same thing. I was
>> only going to send an alert to Merge, but thought it might be
>> beneficial to others to post it here. There are plenty of people out
>> there reading this who play in non-local bands who might get a little
>> excited, shall we say, to have a renowned indie label knocking on
>> their door. Don't worry, I won't do it again.
>>

>>> If
>>> a large % of the people on a.m.c-h are techies, an equally large percent
>>> are semi-professional ne'er-do-wells who'd find it entertaining to feed
>>> you goofy & incorrect information. I myself wear both hats most of the
>>> time.

> [...]

Ruby Sinreich ruby AT lotusmedia.org http://lotusmedia.org/blog
"One day we must come to see that peace is not merely a distant goal
that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal."
- Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr