ch-scene - Re: Merge virus?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bo Williams <bo AT mrboboto.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Merge virus?
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:06:10 -0400

There are years and years of Google archives to show that Grady reacts in a similarly cranky manner whenever anyone brings up viruses in any context. Or just about anything, in any context! It's nothing personal, and saying it's rude is as if Kermit started complaining about those fucking assholes Statler and Waldorf one day. Sometimes, people are curmudgeonly, and sometimes, it's just part of their personality, and I'll take personality over a polite facade any day of the week.

And besides, Ross is the only one in this discussion who's said anything that's factually true. To break it down again: some random person who had Merge's email address and your email address in his or her IE cache / Outlook address book got a virus. You got some spam. This does not mean that Merge should go on Code Red Terror Alert. This means email is broken, and has been for a long time, and will continue to be so for some time more, so just ignore it and go on with your day.

Bo

Jamie McLendon wrote:

grady AT ibiblio.org (grady) wrote in message
news:<40D9CCB2.4000009 AT ibiblio.org>...

Did you read the rest of my message? What Cy told you, while mildly amusing, is irrelevant, and while labels may or may not be having problems with viruses, getting an email that purports to be from them is *not* an indication of *anything* other than that you're alive and using email in the year 2004.

Yes, I read the rest of your message. I did, however, find what Cy had
to say to be revelant. Perhaps Merge might like to know that there's
spam going out with their name on it. I've had friends and associates
send me a head's up before when they've gotten wind of the same thing
happening with their email addresses, and I would appreciate it if
someone told me it was happening with mine. Maybe Merge, like
Dischord (or whichever other label he mentioned), might like to put a
little warning on their site, too.

Whatever the case, my post was small, polite, and (apparently) overall
insignificant. It could have easily been ignored, or responded to with
a simple "duly noted." I know what spam is, and I don't open shit from
people I don't know. I understand. You overreacted, Ross. My post was
a simple PSA to anyone who might have gotten the same thing. I was
only going to send an alert to Merge, but thought it might be
beneficial to others to post it here. There are plenty of people out
there reading this who play in non-local bands who might get a little
excited, shall we say, to have a renowned indie label knocking on
their door. Don't worry, I won't do it again.

If a large % of the people on a.m.c-h are techies, an equally large percent are semi-professional ne'er-do-wells who'd find it entertaining to feed you goofy & incorrect information. I myself wear both hats most of the time.

Duly noted.

I mean, shit, when was the last time anybody asked a question here--about *anything*--and got anything resembling a single correct answer?

There have been plenty of times when people on here have freely given
good advice, and it's always the first place I go when I want to know
more about audio technology. As far as the "last time" is concerned,
it was probably whoever asked if the MC5 show was any good, but I
can't be certain.

The bottom line is that you've made your point, and I hope I have made
mine.
Jamie