ch-scene - RE: Sharon Jones and Dapkings

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Todd Morman" <tmorman AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Sharon Jones and Dapkings
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:43:49 -0400

> their synchronized swaying from side to side
> was out of control. not once did I see someone
> sway the wrong way.

They weren't just doing a simple side-to-side all the time, either. I saw
some damn complex swaying, on top of some amazingly tight music. What a
great show - one of the best I've seen in a long time. Live raw soul with a
dash of politics. Yum. The funkified version of "This Land is Your Land" was
genius (if anyone cares, it's coming out on their album this fall).

Anyone at XYC in the mid-90s remember when those Desco 45s and CDs first
started coming in? We laughed trying to figure out if they were modern or
reissues of the real thing. Then we decided it was the real thing either
way; the production on those songs was perfect.

A few years later at some dot-bomb party in San Francisco I met a geeky
German guy and started talking about music. He laughed when I told him my
Desco story and mentioned one of the singles.

"I was in that band," he said.

todd mystery solved morman