ch-scene - Re: Sharon Jones and Dapkings

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ethan Clauset <ethan AT tribal.xxx.metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Sharon Jones and Dapkings
  • Date: 10 May 2004 16:31:16 -0400

their synchronized swaying from side to side was out of control. not once
did I see someone sway the wrong way.

Rawls <jcmidrange AT yahoo.com> wrote:

: I'm not one to say there are "rules" that are
: required to be a good band. But I have noticed
: certain um, scenarios that usually reoccur within good
: bands. For example, if the drummer is an old, British
: guy (or the original drummer is British and was a
: teenager in the mid'60's) the band is usually good
: (granted most of theses examples are deceased). Also,
: if someone in the band is wearing a turban, the band
: is usually good, and that would be the case for the
: Dapkings who I saw last night (I think Outkast is the
: only other example I can give of turban wearing I've
: seen in person)...what a tight band! They caused
: people to come out on a Sunday night and....DANCE (I
: still stand by my previous postulation being that it
: was based on observations at house parties and
: non-live band events, and seeing as how a good, raw,
: funk and R&B band has never played around here I
: couldn't include that scenario in my data, plus I
: never accused anyone of being lobotomized which you
: would've had to have been if the Dapkings didn't make
: you move).

: Rawls