ch-scene - Internationalist Books update

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ethan Clauset <ethan AT tribal.metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Internationalist Books update
  • Date: 10 May 2004 16:29:16 -0400

Internationalist Books
http://internationalistbooks.org/
405 W Franklin St, Chapel Hill, NC 27516

MEMBERS

Members new and old can now go to
http://www.internationalistbooks.org/about/members/ and join or renew a
membership online. Or you can just make a donation -- please consider
helping out your favorite independent bookstore cooperative. We can't
continue to grow without your help.

EVENTS

May 15 -- Internationalist Books annual benefit yard sale will take place
on Saturday, May 15 at the Hillsborough Road Coop House in Carrboro, 621
Hillsborough Road. If you have any items you'd like to donate, please
contact us!

May 29 -- Clarqoline Productions & Internationalists Books present the
Axis of Change Showcase at Local 506 with Shallow Be Thy Name / Mowing
Lawns / Fasion Design / Lud. 9 PM - 2 AM at 506 W Franklin Street, Chapel
Hill.

June 3 -- We'll be grilling and serving food at Weaver Street Market's
After Hours on Thursday, June 3, from 6-8 PM.

More Summer events TBA!

NEW ARRIVALS

Stickers!!!!!
We just received a shipment of official Internationalist Books stickers,
in two different designs. They're free with any purchase! We also have a
new selection of political bumper stickers, perfect for the 2004 election
season.

Into the Buzzsaw: Leading Journalists Expose the Myth of a Free Press
by Kristin Borjesson, Ed.
This collection of essays addresses the secrets surrounding the world of
journalism. These stories and their dirty details (blacklisting, bribes,
etc.) are what the media big-wigs have been trying to hide for years...
until now.

Glue and Ink Rebellion
by Sean Carswell
A series of stories about the lives of "drunks, potheads, punk rockers,
bartenders, waitresses, drug fiends, surfers, and various other working
class folks as they search for meaning or try to make sense of the madness
around them". Carswell characters "make you laugh, and make you think"
(Howard Zinn).

Our Word is Our Weapon: Selected Writings
by Subcommandante Marcos, et al
Selected writings about the Zapatista movement with a wide range of
perspectives from those involoved in the struggle.

Memoirs of a Warsaw Ghetto Fighter: Critical Essays
by Simhah Rotem, et al
The story of the Jewish resistance fighters of Warsaw who fought the Nazi
army against unimaginable odds in an effort to preserve their homes,
lives, and future.

Reaping the Whirlwind: Afghanistan, Al Qa'ida and the Holy War
by Michael Griffin
Outlines the history and gives detailed information on the organization of
Al Qa'ida leading up to September 11th. Some conspiracy theories in here
to boot for all those interested in trying to put a finger on how this all
cam to be.

Orgasms of History: 3,000 Years of Spontaneous Insurrection
by Yves Fremion, et al
A history of riots, uprisings, and revolutions and why they happened.
Nearly 100 episodes of revolt and utopia which popped up without a plan or
a leader from the ancient Greeks to the present.

A New World in Our Hearts: 8 Years of Writings from the Love and Rage
Revolutionary Anarchist Federation
by Roy San Filippo, Ed.
Insights into the ideas and methods of Love and Rage, a 1990's
revolutionary anarchist organization built by activists all over North
America. Essays, history, and strategies.

Quiet Rumours: An Anarcha-Feminist Reader
by the Dark Star Collective
An Internationalist favorite, this is a collection of and about
anarcha-feminists over more than a century. This anthology brings
together vital, notorious, and long-lost anarcha-feminist essays and
writings and restores female anarchist heroes to their place in history.
For a full review, visit our website:
http://www.internationalistbooks.org/books/reviews/quiet-rumours.html

Beat the Heat: How to Handle Encounters with Law Enforcement
by Katya Komisaruk and Tim Maloney
A how-to guide for what to do when the cops come a-callin'. Includes
nifty comics with fun scenarios.

###

Internationalist Books
http://internationalistbooks.org/
405 W Franklin St, Chapel Hill, NC 27516

  • Internationalist Books update, Ethan Clauset, 05/10/2004