ch-scene - Re: Recommend a place to get car stereo repaired?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: jeremyloftis AT yahoo.com (J. Loftis)
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Recommend a place to get car stereo repaired?
  • Date: 12 Feb 2004 10:20:39 -0800

grady AT ibiblio.org wrote in message news:<402AA529.7030901 AT ibiblio.org>...

> I guess I should also ask: what kind of slight difficulties? Eating
> tapes? Running slow/fast/warbly? You're gonna want to clean the capstans
> and rollers, which is, yes, a pain in the ass with a car tape deck. So
> though I wouldn't normally, I might suggest one of those cleaning tapes.

Problem is this:

The deck only plays in one direction becuase it seems that one of the
drive spindles isn't working. When I put a cassette into the deck, it
makes this loud repetitive clicking noise, then the autoreverse
function flips the cassette to the other side of the tape, which plays
perfectly.

I can live with turning a tape over manually, but the larger problem
is that I usually listen to cds with a portable cd player (with car
adapter kit connected via the tape deck).

You can only insert the cassette adapter one way and it will only play
on that one side (the broken one). If I use autoreverse with the
cassette adapter, there is no sound. Since I can't flip over the
cassette adapter, I'm screwed. I can hardly hear the music over the
loud CLICKING and SNAPPING sounds coming from the tape deck.