ch-scene - Re: Recommend a place to get car stereo repaired?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady AT ibiblio.org
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Recommend a place to get car stereo repaired?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:56:57 -0500

Tape deck? Car? Yikes. I *hate* to be one of those disposable-culture people--I mean, really--but at the same time, by the time you yank it out of there & take it somewhere (assuming you can find somewhere) and pay to have it fixed, you will have paid 2-3 times what a new car tape deck would cost you.

If you're really anti-disposable-culture (yay you!) and it's a stock radio (i.e. came with the car) then head over to Wagner's or your junkyard of choice, and trade them for a working one of the same model/vintage. They'll probably charge you like $30.

Having said all that, and wracked my brain suitably, I can't think of anyplace that would voluntarily want to work inside a car stereo, except maybe ALR in Chapel Hill (intersection of 15-501 and Smith Level Road, south of town). They seem suitably crazy.

I guess I should also ask: what kind of slight difficulties? Eating tapes? Running slow/fast/warbly? You're gonna want to clean the capstans and rollers, which is, yes, a pain in the ass with a car tape deck. So though I wouldn't normally, I might suggest one of those cleaning tapes.

Or you can do the alcohol/Q-tip thing, but keep in mind that the alcohol loves to eat the gunk off the heads/capstans, but it also loves to dry up & destroy the rubber rollers, so you don't want to get it on them, which is why it's such a pain in the ass.

Good luck,

Ross

J. Loftis wrote:

My car's tape deck has been having some slight difficulties lately. Can anyone recommend a place that repairs these things?