ch-scene - Re: Stuff to do, Week of January 27, 2004

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: <jim AT thebalanceband.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Stuff to do, Week of January 27, 2004
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:46:08 -0500

> Thursday, January 29
> The Balance [http://www.thebalanceband.com/], Go Machine
> [http://www.gomachinemusic.com], Braggadocio
> Kings, Raleigh

Come defrost at our rock n roll show on Thursday night (1/29/04) at Kings.
The Balance has (still) been recording - if all goes according to plan I'll
have a few sneak preview CDs to share so you can hear a little of what I've
been talking about for so long.
Playing first (at 10 pm sharp) will be Ticonderoga (formerly known as
Braggadocio). Yes, they haven't even played their first show yet and
they've already changed their name. But so it goes with rock n roll. Name
changes not withstanding, they are all recent arrivals in Raleigh from Iowa,
and they make amazing acoustic-based music. And they will definitely have
free CDs at the show (the songs on which will supposedly be sequenced in the
same order as their setlist this night, so that you can relive their show
over and over).
Playing second will be Go*Machine from Chapel Hill. In case you haven't
heard of them yet, they run a neat little record label called Bu Hanan
records and yes, they too are amazing. They make virtuosic use of all kinds
of cool noisemakers - theremin, violin, laptop computer, in addition to the
usual rocknroll accoutrements (not to mention their heartbreaking 3-part
vocal harmonies).
We (the Balance) play last, and we will send you home happy with vicious
licks of doom and cool rock moves.