ch-scene - Re: Stuff to do, Week of January 27, 2004

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "5er (martin)" <mdhall005 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Stuff to do, Week of January 27, 2004
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:33:07 -0800 (PST)

--- grady AT ibiblio.org wrote:

> Friday, January 30
> The Unicorns
> [http://www.alien8recordings.com/unicorns.php3], The
> Strugglers [http://www.thestrugglers.org/], The
> Mansions
> [http://www.themansions.tv/]
> Go! Studios Rm. 4, Carrboro

> The Unicorns are from Canada, I believe.

the Unicorns are indeed from Canada, and my sources
from the Great White North say that this is a show
"not to be missed". evidentally, you never know what
you are gonna get with these guys...it could be either
sublimely beautiful or disturbingly chaotic depending
on the band' moods and blood-sugar levels and the
like.

the Unicorns were formed by two high school friends
from western BC (Campbell River), who parted ways then
reformed in Montreal, and who now can be found living
in a "smelly" RV trying their best not to kill one
another.

as for the music, it reminds me of some of the more
bizarre fringes of the Elephant 6 collective (back
when that moniker still had meaning), sort of like the
Music Tapes with a bit more melody. their latest LP,
"Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone", was one of my
favorites of 2003.

the Pitchfork crowd has gone out of their way to fall
all over themselves in praise of the Unicorns:

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/u/unicorns/who-will-cut-our-hair-when-were-gone.shtml

and our(/my) chief Canadian correspondent covered them
thusly in Exlaim:

http://www.exclaim.ca/index.asp?layid=22&csid1=2129

i, for one, would not miss this one for the world.
just to see what all the commotion is about.

-5er

=====
"I have always been a romantic, one of those people who believes that a woman
in pink circus tights holds all the secrets of the world." - Tom Robbins